The oversized tyres of fatbikes make cycling possible also in winter conditions on designated trails. You’ll pedal even lighter if you choose a fatbike with electric assistance, more commonly called an e-fatbike.
Mountain biking is fun in the winter, too!
News about winter bike trails
- Hirsilampi Fatbike Trail: The maintenance has ended.
- Lammintupa Fatbike and Winter Hiking Trail: The maintenance has ended.
- Antinperä Fatbike Trail: The maintenance has ended.
- Riisitunturi fatbike trail: The maintenance has ended.
- Oulanka Wilderness Trail for hikers and fatbikes: The maintenance has ended.
- Pyhän Jyssäys Fatbike and Winter Hiking Trail: No maintenance, available for hikers and bikers alike year round.
Winter fatbiking trails
Winter bike trail etiquette
At the start of the season, the trails are still somewhat soft, even after repairs, and can only be cycled with wide tyres and low tyre pressure (so-called soft tyres).
As the trails harden with use, they can be ridden on after some snowfall also with harder tyres.
After heavy snowfall, the trails can be ridden only with low tyre pressure, even after the repairs. Take into account any possible trail-specific instructions and comply with them!
If the trail is a so-called multipurpose trail (winter biking and snowshoeing), stick to the right-hand side. On winding sections with many turns, bikers are recommended to maintain a pace with which it’s possible to overtake others in case someone comes along.
Winter biking is increasing in popularity, and new trails are being built to meet the increased demand. Remember to stay on trails that are designed for bikes, and be considerate when sharing a trail. Cycling on ski trails is not permitted.
Fatbike or e-fatbike hire and guided fatbiking trips
There are many high-quality bike hire companies and rentals in the Ruka-Kuusamo region that can provide you a fatbike, with electric assistance or “organic”. Get to know the bike selection and book yours well in advance. Some bikes can be rented online, some by calling the bike hire company directly.