Gateway to Kuusamo-Lapland
Leverage to international tourism
The main goals of the project are:
- To increase the degree of internationalisation in tourism and the number of international tourists in north-eastern Finland (Koillismaa).
- To develop air links and the accessibility of the tourist region through models of cooperation.
- To introduce new distribution channels into the tourist region and to create sales and marketing approaches with the help of e.g. digital solutions.
- To collect and disseminate information required to serve the customer base.
- To utilise the attractiveness of national parks in international tourism marketing.
As a result of the project, the degree of internationalisation in the Ruka-Kuusamo tourist region will rise to the same level with the other large tourist areas in Northern Finland. Working cooperation relationships will be established with Asia, and cultural marketing will be developed to bring a growing number of tourists into the region. New approaches will be created for the region as they are necessary to guarantee the quality of the service provided to a growing number of tourists and new cultures.
The project period is 1 August 2016 – 30 April 2019, and the total budget is EUR 1 299 940. The contribution of the state and the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) granted by the Council of Oulu Region is 70%, the share of the municipalities in the region is 12%, other public funding is 6% and corporate funding is 12%. The project is implemented in collaboration with the Ruka-Kuusamo Tourist Association, Parks & Wildlife Finland of Metsähallitus and the University of Oulu.