Gateway to Kuusamo-Lapland
Leverage to international tourism
The main goals of the project were:
- To increase the degree of internationalisation in tourism and the number of international tourists in north-eastern Finland (Koillismaa).
- To develop air links and the accessibility of the tourist region through models of cooperation.
- To introduce new distribution channels into the tourist region and to create sales and marketing approaches with the help of e.g. digital solutions.
- To collect and disseminate information required to serve the customer base.
- To utilise the attractiveness of national parks in international tourism marketing.
What did we achieve?
As a result of the project, the degree of internationalisation in the Ruka-Kuusamo tourist region rose to the same level with the other large tourist areas in Northern Finland. Working cooperation relationships were established with Asia, and cultural marketing was developed to bring a growing number of tourists into the region. New approaches were created for the region as they are necessary to guarantee the quality of the service provided to a growing number of tourists and new cultures.
The project period was 1 August 2016 – 30 April 2019, and the total budget was EUR 1 299 940. The contribution of the state and the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) granted by the Council of Oulu Region was 70%, the share of the municipalities in the region was 12%, other public funding was 6% and corporate funding was 12%. The project was implemented in collaboration with the Ruka-Kuusamo Tourist Association, Parks & Wildlife Finland of Metsähallitus and the University of Oulu.
PROJECT MANAGER Tessa Suopanki, +358 (0) 40 845 0410, firstname.lastname@example.org