First snow ski track is located near Kuusamo centre at Petäjäkangas area. Saarua lit trail (12 km) at Ruka will be opened on natural snow as soon as there is enough snow. Other ski tracks will be opened according to snow conditions.
Cross-country Skiing at Ruka-Kuusamo
- Updated information about the ski tracks and route map: www.mski.fi/kuusamo_eng/.
- In the beginning of each winter season: The first ski track on man-made snow in Kuusamo Petäjäkangas, length 2 km, Nordic + skating.
Maintenance: Rukan koneladut 0400 328 055
Feedback about ski trails: Kuusamo town 0400 296 110
Ski trail maintenance schedule
- Ski trails in Ruka area: Saarua Lit Trail, Ruka Ring Route and Vuosseli Route Ski trails
- Valtavaara Route, Talvijärvi Dog Trail Ski trails
- Pyhävaara Route
- Kuontivaara Route (dog trail), Ski Stadium Trails Ski trails
Ski trails are maintained within 12 hours after snowfall and daily during 15.2.-15.4. Saarua Lit Trail, Ruka Ring Route and Ruka Ski Stadium 5 km track will be maintained daily during 20.12-6.1. Other routes will be maintained usually on Thursday or Friday. In case of a snowfall the trails will be maintained after the snowfall has ended.
Ski trail café opening hours (updated 24.3.2015)
- Reindeer Farm & Ski Trail Cafe Lammintupa (Vuosseli route): open daily at 10-15.
- Vuosselin Pirtti (Ruka round route): see opening hours on Vuosselin Pirtti's page.
- Uuttusuo cafe (Ruka round route/Vuosseli route): open daily at 10-15
- Korpikahvila (Vuosseli route): open daily at 10-16.
- Kuontivaara hut (Kuontivaara route): open daily at 9.30-15.30 from 14.2.2015 onwards.
- Kultala at Rukan Salonki (Kuontivaara route): Open daily from 14.2. onwards.
- Ski cafe Viipuksen Kota (Alakylä route): open daily at 9.30-15.30.
- Kumpuvaara scenery cafe (Kumpuvaara route): open according to pre-orders (ski and snowmobile tracks are closed).
- Basecamp Oulanka (Juuma wilderness route): Open Tuesday-Saturday at 10-16, closed on Sundays and Mondays.
- Iivaaran Eräkartano (Iivaara route): Open in springtime from week 8-Easter time daily at 11-16.
(Cafe owners: please send your opening hours to sari.kumpuniemi(at)rukakuusamo.fi or call Sari Kumpuniemi/Ruka-Kuusamo Tourist Association, tel +358 40 5600 067). We reserve the right for changes in opening hours.
Ski trail maps at Ruka and Kuusamo
- Ruka-Kuusamo real time ski trail maintenance info & trail map
- Ruka Ski Trail Map (pdf; Ruka-Kuusamo Traveller's Map)
- Kuusamo Ski Trail Map (pdf, Ruka-Kuusamo Traveller's Map)
- Ski trail maps (i.e. Ruka-Kuusamo Traveller's Maps) are available for free at Kuusamo Info, Ruka Info and hotel receptions.
RUKA - LIT SKI TRAILS (lights are on until 9 p.m.)
|Saarua lit trail||Medium difficulty||12 km||Kaltiolampi–Uuttusuo–Saarua–Uuttusuo–Kaltiolampi||Whole season||Nordic and Skating||The first to be opened with the first snowfall, open throughout the season, suitable for traditional and skating styles|
|Ski Stadium trails||Difficult||5 km||Ski stadiumk trails 5 km, 7,5 km and 10 km, of which 5 km is lit.||Whole season||Nordic and Skating||During 15.2.–30.4. also 7,5 km and 10 km. Access to Ruka village with Talvijärvi lift*|
|Ruka Ring Route||Difficult||9 km||Kaltiolampi–Uuttusuo–Saarua–Ski Stadium trails.||Whole season||Nordic and Skating||The trail is skied one way Saaruan Tupa–Ski Stadium. Access to Ruka village with Talvijärvi lift*|
RUKA - OTHER SKI TRAILS
|Talvijärvi||Easy||1,8 km||Talvijärvi||Whole season||Nordic and Skating||Skiing with dogs allowed on this trail. Access to Ruka village with Talvijärvi lift*|
|Vuosseli||Easy||12 km||Saarua–Vuosseli–Saarua.||Whole season||Nordic and Skating|
|Valtavaara||Difficult||12 km||Saarua–Valtavaara–Saarua||Whole season||Nordic and Skating|
|Pyhävaara||Difficult||17 km||Kaltiolampi–Uuttusuo–Rukajärvi–Pyhävaara–Kaltiolampi.||Whole season||Nordic and Skating|
|Kivilampi||Easy||Whole season||Nordic and Skating||Access from Pyhävaara route and Kivilammentie car park|
|Kuontivaara||Easy||19 km||Talvijärvi–Kuontivaara–Kesäjärvi–Talvijärvi.||Whole season||Nordic and Skating||Skiing with dogs allowed on this trail.|
|Cold weather ski track/top of Ruka||Easy||1 km||Chalet Ruka Peak - the edge of Kelorinne slope - Chalet Ruka Peak.||December-February||Nordic and Skating||Same as the disabled rail in summer.|
|Alakylä||Easy||17 km||Talvijärvi - Salmilampi - Viipusjärvi - Konttainen - Viipusjärvi - Salmilampi - Talvijärvi.||Whole season 2015||Nordic and Skating||
*) Cross country skiers can access Ruka village via Talvijärvi ski lift (T-bar) for free once per day. See opening hours of Talvijärvi lift >
KUUSAMO CENTRE - LIT TRAILS (ights are on until 9 p.m.)
|Petäjälampi||Easy||5 km||Petäjäkangas||Whole season||Nordic and Skating|
|Munakka||Medium difficulty||3 km, 4,5 km||Munakka||Whole season||Nordic and Skating|
|Tolpanniemi||Easy||2,5 km||Tolpanniemi||Whole season||Nordic and Skating|
KUUSAMO CENTRE - OTHER SKI TRAILS
|Petäjälampi First Snow Track||Easy||1 km||Petäjäkangas||October-November||Nordic and Skating||Snowguns will be started below -5 C.|
|Petäjälampi||Easy||3,5 km||Petäjäkangas||Whole season||Nordic and Skating|
|Tolpanniemi||Easy||1,5 km||Tolpanniemi||Whole season||Nordic and Skating|
|Toranki||Easy||7,5 km||Toranki||Whole season||Nordic and Skating|
|Kuusamo Ring Route||Easy||18 km||Sports Centre –Petäjälampi–Toranki–Bowling Alley, Sports Centre.||Whole season||Nordic and Skating||Skiing with dogs allowed on this trail.|
OTHER SKI TRAILS IN KUUSAMO
Oulanka National Park Wilderness Route, medium difficulty 26 km: Kiutaköngäs–Juuma. Open from 15.2. onwards, Nordic, route is flattened, no ski tracks.
Iivaara ski route, medium difficulty, 20 km (Nordic): Open from 15.2. onwards, maintenance with a snowmobile, details about route and maintenance mski.fi/kuusamo. Services: Iivaaran Eräkartano (see Ski trail cafes on this page).
Muovaara ski route, medium difficulty, 9 km (Nordic): Open from 15.2. onwards, maintenance with a snowmobile, details about route and maintenance mski.fi/kuusamo.
Lit trails in Kuusamo area residential areas: Kemilä, Kurkijärvi, Käylä, Maaselkä, Nuorisokeskus Oivanki (lit during 17-20, temperature limit -18 C), Penttilä, Poussu, Sossonniemi, Vasaraperä and Vuotunki. Maintenance is done by locals with a ski mobile. Skiing style varies depending on the area (Nordic, Skating or both).
Car parking areas along ski tracks in Ruka area
Talvijärventie and Hiihtostadionintie crossroads (for Stadium, Talvijärvi, Salmilampi, Alakylä, Pyhävaara and Kuontivaara tracks)
Rukatunturintie and Rukajärventie crossroads (for Saarua, Ruka ring, Pyhävaara and Kuontivaara tracks)
Masto and Vuosseli slopes parking areas along Vuosselintie road (for Saarua, Vuosseli and Valtavaara tracks)
Please note: Rukanportti (Ruka-Ko, S-Market Ruka, Ruka Adventures and Rukan Lomapalvelu) parking areas are reserved for customers visiting these premises. Parking is not allowed along roads.
Skiing with your dog
There are four routes in Ruka-Kuusamo are that allow dogs:
- Talvijärvi dog trail 2 km (Ruka)
- Kuontivaara route 20 km (Ruka); this track can be skied to both directions, so a shorter route is also possible.
- Kuusamo ring route 17 km (Kuusamo)
The owner of the dog must take care of dog droppings. Dogs must not cause disturbance to other skiers or break the Nordic skiing trail. Dogs must be kept in leash.
Cross-country skiing events and competitions
A number of cross-country skiing events are arranged, such as the "Border to Border" skiing excursion— the longest in the whole world (444 km). The route starts in Kuusamo close to the eastern border and ends in Sweden at the City of Haparanda, just across the western border of Finland. See Event calendar for more information.
If you don't have your own cross-country skiing equipment, our ski rental shops are glad to help you with the right equipment!
Enjoy your ski trip!