Facts about Ruka and Kuusamo in Lapland:
- in winter: ski resort Ruka, Ruka pedestrian village, cross country tracks, snowmobiling routes and great variety of guided winter activities
- in summer: the magnificent nature in Kuusamo — National Parks Oulanka, Riisitunturi, Syöte, Pyhä and Paanajärvi (the latter in Russia), Karhunkierros hiking trail, Kitka and Oulanka rivers, steep hills and numerous lakes with lots of fish
Facts about Ruka Ski Resort:
- Ruka in Lapland is one of the largest ski resorts in Finland comparing sales: almost 8 million euros per year (2013-2014)
- Ski season 2013-2014: 360.000 skiing days, appr. 127.000 unique skiers
- 34 groomed runs, biggest vertical 201 m and longest run 1300 m. The top of Ruka is 492 meters above sea level.
- Groomed runs altogether 20 km: 41 % blue/beginner, 43 % red/intermediate and 16 % black/advanced.
- Effective snow making on all runs (with almost 100 snow guns), 27 illuminated runs (87%).
- 21 lifts: 5 chairs with one super fast RukaExpress detachable chair with bubble cover, hourly capacity of 25.400.
- FIS rated Vuosseli Super Pipe, Snow Park & Street, Ski/Boarder Cross course and a moguls run, Battery Run, suitable for international competitions (length 225 m, vertical 106 m, steepness 52 % i.e 29 degrees) and FIS rated slalom run.
- 4 rental shops: over 2000 sets of alpine ski equipment, 400 sets of snowboards and 200 sets of cross-country skis.
- 5 groomers and over 90 snow guns: snow making capacity of 1250 cubic meters of snow per hour.
- The biggest and oldest ski school in Finland, Ski School Ruka, 180 instructors (mostly part-time).
- Ski season from October to May (over 200 days). 2013-2014 season was 19.10.2013 - 11.5.2014, 205 days. During season 2014-2015 the first slopes were opened 17.10.2014 and the ski season will continue until 11.5.2015.
- Slopes are open every day 9.30 a.m - 7 p.m. according to weather conditions. Ski lift opening hours >
- Night skiing on Fridays 7-11 p.m (December - mid-April)
- Appr. 2000 km of different kinds of marked routes on Kuusamo area.
- 153 km of cross country trails in Kuusamo (34 km illuminated); out of these 72 km in Ruka (16 km illuminated).
- First Snow Track will be opened each October/November according to snow fall.
- 500 km of marked, free-of-charge snowmobile routes and 100 km of safari organizers' own routes.
- In the summer: 160 km of hiking routes, 605 km of biking routes, 350 km of classified paddling routes and 100 km of boating routes.
- In Ruka area appr. 30 restaurants & bars/pubs (almost 8.000 seats), out of which 10 on-mountain restaurants and several cafés; appr. 1000 seats on terraces
- In the whole Kuusamo area over 60 restaurants & bars/pubs with over 15.000 seats
- Ruka pedestrian village consists of over 1000 visitor beds, 15 restaurants, 10 shops and underground parking for 320 cars right by the ski area.
- Shopping Centre Kumpare: Ruka Info (tourist office), shops, kindergarten, bowling, saunas, massage, internet.
- Kuusamon Tropiikki Spa: 3 saunas, large pool area and a big water slide. Angry Birds Activity Park.
- Ruka Summer Sled Track is the longest one in Finland (1.001 m), Ruka Disc Golf Park, Mini golf.
- 63 safari organizers with varied programs and equipment rentals.
- A new 18 hole golf course nearby Kuusamon Tropiikki Spa.
- Ruka International Ski Jump Stadium: K120 and K64 jumps (K120/HS142 is the biggest year-round jump in Finland).
- Karhuntassu Visitor Centre: Kuusamo Info (tourist office), internet, Hannu Hautala Nature Photography Centre, fishing permits, Kuusamo products, cafe.
- SkiBus route around the ski resort and accommodation areas in Ruka and Kuusamo; free of charge in Ruka Ski Resort area..
- Hiking bus transporting hikers to the starting points of Karhunkierros Trail as well as to the airport; year round.
- Airport Bus from and to every flight at Kuusamo airport; year round.
Beds in hotels, apartments and cottages:
- Altogether appr. 40.000 beds in Kuusamo area (including holiday homes); 23.00 of these in Ruka area.
- 6.900 holiday apartments and cottages in Kuusamo.
- Appr. one million visitors in Kuusamo every year; 74.583 of these arrived by airplane 2013
- During 2013 there were 486.900 overnights, of which 356.400 were Finnish (76 %) and 112.500 (24 %) foreigners (this number does not include overnights in cottages).
- 174.600 people visited Oulanka National Park during 2013; this park is part of the PAN Parks organization.
- Tourism income in Kuusamo on 2010 was 91,4 MEur.
- Appr. 816 residents of Kuusamo area work in tourism business.
Climate and weather conditions in Kuusamo
The climate in Kuusamo region is more continental than in most other parts of Finland. The mean temperature of the year is around 0°C and the growing season is 135 days long. The ground is covered with snow around 200 days from the end of October till the middle of May. Winter conditions may cause a challenge for drivers, so please take a look at Driving in Finland.
|Month||Northern lights||Snow depth/ cm||Av. temperature C||Hours of daylight|
*) The Northern Lights appear throughtout the year, but they are difficult to see during the light summer nights. Find out more about the Northern Lights in Ruka-Kuusamo area >