The natural environs of Kuusamo provide a highly fascinating locale for birdwatchers. A keen bird observer can spot Eastern species, more likely to be seen in Kuusamo than anywhere else in Europe. Some of these birds are only seen in Kuusamo. For some northern species, Kuusamo is their southernmost area of occurrence.
Birdwatching towers have been built in many places throughout Kuusamo:
- The towers on Lake Toranginjärvi - one tower at the South-Eastern end of the lake, and a watching platform at the northern end on the shore, quite close to Sokos Hotel Kuusamo. The latter is also suitable for persons with mobility restrictions.
- The Antinperä tower - East of the Ruka fell.
- The Vasaraperä (Haataja) tower on Lake Kitkajärvi, the bay of Jäkälälahti.
- The Vuotunki tower of Lake Vuotunkijärvi.
- The newest birdwatching tower opened in early May 2001 and it is located at Olkilampi in Suininki. It is owned by Mr Pentti Kurvinen.
Every early summer a bird spotting competition, known as "bird marathon" or "points rally" is arranged. The team spotting the most species wins. Here you can spot certain Eastern species for which Kuusamo is the most likely venue in Europe - in some instances the only one. Amongst these prized types of birds are the red-flanked bluetail, greenish warbler and Siberian jay. Our professional bird tour organizers are glad to take you along for a guided bird tour in the magnificent nature of Kuusamo.